Happy Monday! I’m back from a weekend in Boston (more on that later) and have a fun craft project to share. Just call me Krafty Krista.
Our house has a very boring door. It’s white, and most likely can’t be painted or upgraded since we need to keep things uniform in our townhouse community. I’ve made winter and fall wreaths, but I just can’t get into the idea of creating a wreath for every single season, so I decided to do something different. Enter the door decoration:
I found this adorable project on Pinterest to showcase your family initial when guests enter your home. I loved it but decided to simplify it further and share my step-by-step process.
I’ve been a little fabric crazy lately, so I decided to take a trip to Hobby Lobby and purchased the rainbow chevron fabric to brighten everything up ($4.49). I also bought some Mod Podge, a chipboard letter K, some ribbon, and a three pack of canvases for $4.99. The total for this project comes in around $15, with quite a few supplies that I can reuse. Not bad compared to what a summer wreath might cost you.
Now for the project how-to. First, I traced and cut out an outline of my $.99 chipboard K on black cardstock paper that I had lying around. Easy enough.
Next, I took the fabric and measured it up to the canvas. I made sure to leave an extra 1.5 inches on all four sides of the canvas to make sure there was enough fabric to cover the back edge.
Then I took one of my favorite household tools, the staple gun, and stretched the fabric out as tightly as possible across the canvas. I carefully stapled the back edge of the canvas in about 12 places, mostly in the corners. The corners were a bit challenging, so I actually folded them similarly to the way that you would wrap a present, just to keep the fabric from bunching up.
I used the Mod Podge to glue the cardstock K letter on top of the fabric and pressed that down with a pile of books. Thankfully we have a lot of comic book anthologies lying around that weigh a ton (the perks of a nerdy family) and stacking them on top of the canvas helped make sure the letter wouldn’t easily come off.
Lastly, we attached a ribbon to the back with the staple gun again. Obsessed.
There you have it! The longest part of the project was waiting to make sure the cardstock adhered well to the fabric, but other than that, it really couldn’t have taken more than 15 minutes to complete. I’m pretty happy with how much color it’s already brought to the otherwise drab front porch, so we’ll see how much more color I can bring in (hint: it’s endless, and neon).
Since the unofficial beginning of summer is quickly approaching, I am declaring this the Summer of DIY! I’ll be trying my darnedest to post twice a week (!) with various projects and other fun crafty adventures.