After a relaxing and fun holiday break, I headed off to beautiful Richmond, Virginia with a group of Rutgers University students on an Alternative Break community service trip (for a sneak peek at that experience, check us out on Instagram at @RUCommService). It was a fun, memorable, and exhausting week, but I am happy to report that I am back home and happily sleeping on a real mattress again! Before I went away, I hinted at some fun things on the horizon for the blog, so now it’s time for the mini-announcement: Dan and I are embarking on a Phase 1 makeover of the downstairs bathroom!
For us, Phase 1 means spending a limited amount of money (think $500 or less) on a space that is in desperate need of upgrading. In fact, I mentioned in my house to-do list that this room has been almost completely neglected for the three years that we have lived here. Phase 1 also allows us to make some small changes, like fresh paint and accessories, without breaking the bank and giving us an opportunity to think more long-term about larger changes to the space. With that being said, I present to you the Downstairs Bathroom Mood Board:
Ahh, my first mood board. I was so excited to get started on the small steps in this bathroom makeover process, and it all started with this mood board. We’re talking about some gray walls, oil rubbed bronze finishes, and bright green and navy accents. For those of you who are not familiar with mood boards, they are a compilation of paint colors, designs, patterns, home accents, and art that make up a larger space. It’s intended for inspiration, rather than for purchasing the exact items to be placed in the space. In fact, I’ve already changed some of my design decisions (but that’s for another post)! I actually pulled this mood board together from a wide variety of websites, and I am even featuring some fun artwork for a good cause. Here’s the breakdown:
1) The green and white polka dotted towels are from PB Teen. I actually already bought these a few months ago, and now they’re on sale for $12.99 each! – http://www.pbteen.com/
2) Vintner’s Bordeaux Mirror: From Wayfair, this mirror is similar in style to the one we’ll be hanging up in our mini-makeover, but it comes at a whopping $320 price tag. – http://www.wayfair.com/
3) These oil-rubbed bronze cabinet pulls from Door Corner are a quick and easy upgrade and are especially affordable at $2.39. Instead of replacing our old vanity, we’re just hoping to give her a quick facelift with these new hanldes – http://www.doorcorner.com/
5) The search for the perfect gray is on. This sample is Benjamin Moore’s Elephant Gray and looks like it will work nicely with a navy and green color scheme. – http://www.benjaminmoore.
7) When thinking of bathroom art, I can’t help but thinking about nautical and oceanic art. I just love this starfish print from Island of Blue Etsy shop which only runs you $18 (plus, of course, buying an adorable frame for it).- http://etsy.me/14kY5fi